2/14/2011

Jack Pot!


What would you think if you were in your first prenatal ultrasound and the sonographer say's..."Jack Pot"? For Josh.... it was a state of confusion. For me.... I knew that ment we were having TWINS! Of course I didn't need her response to figure that out. It was obvious from the minute I saw the picture on the screen. Even my childless brother who has no idea how to read those black and white blobs could see that it was two. See for yourself!

Our first comment was..."SERIOUSLY???" But the next thing I said was...."Well, I guess I finally get a minivan!" Josh said..."Now we have to come up with TWO names!". Over all we were shocked but mostly excited beyond words. We always wanted a big family so we are now on the fast track.

If you are finding out this news for the first time then I will go ahead and answer all of the most commonly asked questions.

Did you think there was a chance you were having twins?
Actually the answer from me is YES. I was already showing at 8 weeks, extremely exhausted, and very sick. I know every pregnancy is different but it just felt sooo much more extreme then when I was pregnant with Ivy. I even googled "Signs you might be having twins" and found I had all of them. I started thinking I was paranoid but looking back I think maybe the Lord was just preparing my heart for the news. All that to say.... I had convinced myself it was all in my head and that there would only be one baby. So I was SHOCKED when the sonographer confirmed my theory.

Are there twins in our families?
We recently found out that the answer is yes. Josh's great grandmother had twins that didn't survive and someone on that side of the family ended up having twins that did survive. However, our twins are fraternal, which means I dropped two eggs. So I don't see how Josh's family history could have caused my body to do that.

Did we use fertility medicine?
I am amazed at how a stranger will come out and ask this. WOW! That's a pretty bold questions to ask. If you are a friend it's one thing but a complete stranger another. And honestly... why does it matter? The Lord gives life and takes it away. So it was by His hand that these two lives were conceived.

Are we going to find out the sexes and when?
YES! Absoultley. Might find out the answer in 2 weeks. But also could take another 2 months. It will all depend on how they are sitting at our ultrasound.

What do we want them to be?
Ultimately, we would be happy with any combination. However, Josh and I are not afraid to tell you that two girls is scary. Josh said..."Surely there is a boy in there somewhere?" We would both be thrilled to get a boy out of this deal.

Does Ivy know what's happening?
Yes, she is excited! She keeps telling everyone..."Mommy has TWO babies in her belly!" Her first question about the twins was hilarious. She asked me if one could be black and one could be brown? hahaha Ivy will be almost 4 when they arrive so I have a built in helper.

How many weeks am I?
On friday I will be 12 weeks! That's 3 months!

Are we freaked out?
Nope... Not at all actually. I kept thinking Josh might hit panic mode but so far so good. He rarely panic's about anything and we are both beyond excited and can't wait to meet our next two kiddos.

It's funny the response you get from people when you tell them that you are having twins. Everyone pretty much fall's into 3 different responses.

1st- OH WOW! THAT'S SO EXCITING!! I Can't believe it! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

2nd- MAN! I'm so jealous..... I really want twins!

3rd- Oh no! You poor thing.... I'm so sorry. How is Josh? Is he really ok?

There is no reason to feel sorry for us. Now, if I was a single mother...or had a dead beat husband, then maybe. But when you have a teammate like Josh there is really little to fear. He is such a servant to me and Ivy and goes above the call of duty on a daily basis. Not to mention we have tons of support from family and friends in the area. My brother and sister in-law live in Clemson and do not have children yet. They are as good as any grandparents out there. Ivy adores them and I often think she likes them more than me and Josh.

My mom and dad are not far away either and I know Josh's parents will be traveling to come help as often as they can. Which by the way.... All of grandparents are jumping for joy over this news!

In other exciting Jones family news........WE BOUGHT A HOUSE! We have been looking since September and weren't having any luck. The Lord's timing is perfect b/c our bank just created a new loan program which won't require us to pay the dreaded PMI! This house has everything we prayed for. It's in Central, SC which is just a few miles from Clemson. It's in a small neighborhood that is just one street. The neighbors have a daughter Ivy's age! We are so excited and will be moving in mid April. Here is a picture of our house.




Nice flat yard. Just the way I like it.


Here is our back yard.

And I have to point out that our house payment will be less than our rent in a tiny two bedroom apartment in Plano Texas. SC has some benefits!


One last fun video and pic before I close. This is a video of my mom finding out that I am pregnant (at this point we don't know it's twins). We wrapped a baby doll as one of her Christmas gifts and on the the baby's face we put some questions marks and wrote "Grand baby #4 is on the way". Little did we know that it should have said #4 and #5.



Now watch it again but this time watch my step dad. He is a little confused and doesn't know what kind of gift we gave her. As mom gets up to hug me you see him looking through the box trying to figure out what it is.



I plan to post regular updates to the blog about the pregnancy and the move. I know it's been over a year since I wrote but I'm back in the saddle now!

6 comments:

christie and kyle said...

YAY!!!! SO excited for you and your family, Ashley! Those babies will be a blast! Can't wait to meet them!

Betsy W. Fraser, O.D. said...

just loved reading this post! sounds like things are going well for you guys back in sc :)

Matt and Angie Wood said...

wow! congrats on the pregnancy! on twins! and on the house! so much big news - we couldn't be happier for yall!

Anne said...

So exciting - that's wonderful news!! Congratulations.

Yobany said...

Awesome! Denise and I are happy for you guys on both pieces of big news.

KD said...

Ashley, You are so great. I LOVED reading your comments and responses to all of the questions. Are you sure you don't want to move to Austin? I would love to hang out with you more! Anyways, CONGRATULATIONS! We couldn't be more thrilled for your baby/twin news and your house is adorable!